Start Learning French in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Comprehensive word finder

justinotto2064
New in Town

Comprehensive word finder

Postby justinotto2064 » July 17th, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm new here, so there may be this feature already but I can't find it. I want to be able to look up a word (like in the dictionary) and find not only that word, but also all the different forms, along with all the pronunciations (audio). As an example, I couldn't remember the different forms of "etre" so I searched "etre" in the dictionary. It only returned this word, so I had to go searching through all the lesson notes to find the other forms of it, and then look those up in the dictionary. And then to hear them, I had to add them to word bank, but only do discover that, at least in this case, only "etre" has an audio file. And I couldn't even find "es" because it returned too many hits.

So, to make it easier, if you look up "etre" in the dictionary, you would also get "etes" and "es" (with a short description of what the form relates to), and a direct link to the audio file so you could click it then and there, and not have to add it to your word bank if you didn't want to.

Thanks.

Johnny4eyes
New in Town

Mult-lingual dictionary

Postby Johnny4eyes » August 1st, 2010 4:25 pm

I recommend WordReference.com. It's a great website for translating not only French, but numerous other languages. One of the great things is that when you look up a translation for a verb, when you click on the verb itself you get a page that conjugates it in all tenses -- including subjunctive, pluperfect, etc. There are also links to forum discussions about idiomatic phrases, etc. so you can really understand colloquial speech.
http://www.wordreference.com
Good luck and have fun learning French!
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn French Feature Requests”