a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Pronouncing the French "r"

macphiedotcom
New in Town

Pronouncing the French "r"

Postby macphiedotcom » November 25th, 2009 10:06 am

Hello,

Like many English speakers I find the French "r" impossible to pronounce correctly. I know languages change overtime - especially as young people and modern culture add their influences. So was interested to know what the trend was in France for pronouncing the "r".

Is it by chance changing with that very throaty "r" sound becoming something more pronouncable to struggling foreign language students ?

VirginieMaries
Been Around a Bit

Postby VirginieMaries » November 30th, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Macpiedotcom!

Well, unfortunately, the throaty "r" sound has not evolved over time...and is still very throaty.

With that said, you need to know that it doesn't sound as throaty as it's usually taught in French classes (except when pronounced by itself, which basically never happens).

I would say, if that can help, that the sound "r" in French is somewhere between the sound one makes before spitting (sorry about the colloquial explanation) and the "h" in the English word "alcohol". If you listen closely to French people, they almost never stress the throaty part of the "r".

It is definitely coming from the throat, though.

I will think of a special pronunciation lesson to discuss this topic, as written explanations when it comes to sounds seem a little challenging!

Are you American?

You also need to know that it's really okay to pronounce your "r" the American way. People will understand, and it's very charming to French ears. However, if you really want to master it, I recommend you train by repeating words in which the "r" is placed in front of the vowels "a" and "o", or placed after the guttural "g" and "c", such as in:

Rat, rot, gras, gros, crabe, cros.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for your question!

Virginie

Join by May 6th
Heimrich
New in Town

Postby Heimrich » December 8th, 2009 10:52 pm

It's perfect for us Swedes that live in Scania, the southernmost part of Sweden, since we speak with basically the same "R". Of all the languages I've studied, I find American "R"s to be the hardest to pronounce.

VirginieMaries
Been Around a Bit

Postby VirginieMaries » December 8th, 2009 10:54 pm

Oh how I agree Heimrich!

Especially words that have a lot of "w" and "r"....

Rob
New in Town

Postby Rob » December 9th, 2009 9:58 pm

Hello Heimrich,

If you go to Boston you can just omit the letter "R" almost entirely!

Heimrich
New in Town

Postby Heimrich » December 10th, 2009 1:34 am

The Brits tend to omit the "R"s in most instances where it takes more of an effort for me to pronounce them.
I didn't realize that they (you?) do the same in Boston.
I hope to go there someday!

harleygypsy2003
New in Town

pronouncing the r in french

Postby harleygypsy2003 » February 13th, 2010 1:37 am

:shock: bonjour Angele,juswi lana,spelling is not perfect yet, i was shocked at how fast i learned the sound,aur revoir,was clear and when spoken slowly at first with your voices,i got it. this course is so much fun,merci boo coo to all the teachers,bonforte,gypsy

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning French”