Start Learning French in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

different way in my neck of the woods

russian guy
New in Town

different way in my neck of the woods

Postby russian guy » October 24th, 2009 1:12 am

hey i am just wondring what is the difference between canadian french and france french? if anyone has any answers please let me know s.v.p

merci beaucoup

VirginieMaries
Been Around a Bit

Postby VirginieMaries » November 4th, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello Russian Guy!

Are you asking about linguistic differences (such as grammar, vocabulary, phrases)?

Or are you more interested in knowing WHY they are different?

The linguistic differences have a lot to do with History, and with geographical influences. It would be very long to give you all the details, so maybe you had something specific in mind? A specific word, or the accent, or a specific grammar point?

Let us know!

Virginie

Join by May 6th
russian guy
New in Town

Postby russian guy » November 4th, 2009 11:54 pm

i wanted to know about everything about the difference between canadian french and the other dialects. let me know s.v.p
merci

VirginieMaries
Been Around a Bit

Postby VirginieMaries » November 5th, 2009 5:12 pm

Your question is quite vast.

I would recommend you read this article. It outlines pretty much all French dialects and gives good history insights:

http://www.learn-french-today.com/diale ... guage.html

Now, the main linguistic difference between Canadian French (spoken by the Acadians) and Standard French (spoken in France) is the vocabulary: Canadian French has borrowed over its History a lot of English words (obviously due to the location it's spoken). For example, "une voiture" (a car) is "un char" in Canadian French.

You can also see this phenomenon in Québécois French.

Then, again for both Canadian French and Québécois French, the accent is very different from Metropolitan (standard) French. It's sometimes even hard for both parties to understand each other.

I would also recommend Wikipedia, their articles on the subject are pretty comprehensive.

I hope that helps!

Virginie

russian guy
New in Town

Postby russian guy » November 6th, 2009 12:48 am

ok so the vocab and accent is different what else is there that you know of as a native french speaker?

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning French”