Start Learning French in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"dans" or "en"

pandorappritchard5687
New in Town

"dans" or "en"

Postby pandorappritchard5687 » April 27th, 2011 12:27 pm

In what instances should you use "dans" and "en"?

carreanais4590
New in Town

uses of use "dans" and "en"

Postby carreanais4590 » June 3rd, 2011 2:33 am

Hi pandorappritchard5687
Thanks for comment!

You have to use “en” for:
-expressing the time it takes to do something (Je pourrais faire ce travail en cinq minutes !)
- before the name of a country or a region if it’s a female name or if it began with a vowel (Il vit en Espagne depuis sept ans.)
-with month, seasons, years (En automne et en hiver, il va à l’école; en été, il travaille.)
-with transportation (Il voyage toujours en avion.) but not for : à vélo, à moto, à cheval.
-before the « gérondif» (Il est parti en souriant.)
-before a name without article (Elle est en prison.= She’s in prison. Elle est dans la prison.= She’s in the prison.)
-for expressing the material of which something is made (Mon portefeuille n’est pas en plastique, il est en cuir.)
-in some expression : en la matière, En l’absence de, en même temps, en face de, en train de, en fleur, en famille, en colère, …

And you will use « dans » for :
-expressing the time where will happen an action (Le film va commencer dans cinq minutes.)
- for saying « à l’intérieur de » « Within, in » (Elle est dans le jardin.)
- to indicate an approximation (Elle a dans les 60 ans.)
- to indicate the manner or state (Ils vivent dans la pauvreté et la saleté.)
- for saying « à partir de » « from » with « boire », « manger » et « prendre » (J'ai mangé les frites dans une assiette.)
-for saying « à travers » « through» (Nous avancions dans la neige.)

Hope that will help you !

Get 40% OFF
pandorappritchard5687
New in Town

Postby pandorappritchard5687 » August 3rd, 2011 11:31 am

Thank you Carreanais,

That has helped. I still have problems with "je pourrais faire ce travail en cinq minutes" as opposed to "le film va commencer dans cinq minutes". I guess it's just a case of picking it up as I go!

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning French”