Or sign up using Facebook

translation help pls.

pdf1455
Been Around a Bit

translation help pls.

Postby pdf1455 » June 27th, 2010 11:47 am

bonjour!

aidez moi svp :(

I was wondering if someone can translate the following into English?

Je suis desole, I know it's quite long but I am dying to learn the language.

thank you in advance.

1.)Choisissez la bonne orthographe de cet adjectif :
La bonne réponse était : Quelle est votre idée à ce sujet ?

« Quel » présente la particularité de pouvoir occuper la fonction d’attribut. Il doit donc être accordé au nom auquel il se rapporte. Ici, il se rapporte au nom commun féminin « idée ».

2.)Comment accorderiez-vous ce verbe ?
La bonne réponse était : Aucun des participants n’a gagné le concours.

Il fallait connaître la règle de grammaire : le verbe dont le sujet est un nom déterminé par le pronom aucun est toujours au singulier.

3.)Choisissez entre le singulier et le pluriel :
La bonne réponse était : C’est un livre de trois cent cinquante et une pages

« Cent » ne prend jamais la marque du pluriel s’il est suivi d’un déterminant numéral !

Comment écrivez-vous ces adjectifs de couleur ?
La bonne réponse est bien : Je préfère la robe bleu foncé à la robe rose clair.

Lorsqu’une couleur est exprimée par deux termes ou plus, ces termes restent invariables, qu’il s’agisse de noms ou d’adjectifs.

4.)Faut-il accorder cet adjectif ?
La bonne réponse était : Rares sont les élèves qui n’ont pas fait de faute.

L’attribut du sujet s’accorde même s’il précède le sujet. C’est souvent le cas de « rare » pour lequel on ne doit pas oublier de faire les accords.

5.)Comment écrivez-vous cet adjectif verbal ?
La bonne réponse est bien : Les candidats suivants ont eu plus de mal.

6.)L’adjectif verbal est un adjectif formé sur le participe présent d’un verbe. Il se comporte comme un adjectif et s’accorde en genre et en nombre avec le nom auquel il se rapporte.

7.) Mettriez-vous un S ?
La bonne réponse est bien : Tous les mardis matin, nous faisons une réunion.

Matin et soir restent eux au singulier quand ils sont apposés à un nom de jour.

8.) Comment accordez-vous le pronom “leur“ dans cette phrase ?
La bonne réponse est bien : Il aurait fallu mieux leur expliquer.

Le pronom est généralement placé devant un verbe et équivaut à « à eux », « à elles ». Il s’écrit toujours leur, il n’a pas d’autre forme. On peut s’assurer que l’on a bien affaire au pronom leur si on peut le remplacer par le pronom lui.

9.)Comment conjugueriez-vous le verbe de la phrase ?
La bonne réponse était : Chacun de nos produits est testé en laboratoire.

Le verbe dont le sujet est un nom déterminé par chaque ou le pronom chacun est toujours au singulier.

10.) Où placez-vous les tirets ?

: Est-ce que vous serez là demain ?

Dans l’expression « est-ce que », il y a un trait d’union entre le sujet ce et le verbe est, mais pas de trait d’union après entre ce et que.

Johnny4eyes
New in Town

Postby Johnny4eyes » July 2nd, 2010 6:03 am

OK, I'll give it a shot. My French is at best intermediate but I'm consulting WordReference.com, a really good website for multilingual translations. This gives me a chance to build my own French vocabulary!

1. Choose the correct spelling of this adjective: The right response was “What is your idea (or thought) on this subject?
“Quel” shows a particular characteristic, the complementary function. It should therefore agree with the noun with which it is related. Here, it is related to the common feminine noun “idée” (idea).

2. How would you adjust this verb? The right answer was “None of the participants won the contest.”
It must follow this rule of grammar: The verb whose subject is a noun determined by the pronoun “aucun” is always singular.

3. Choose between the singular or plural: the right answer was “It is a book of three hundred and fifty-one pages.”
“Cent” (hundred) never takes the plural form if it is followed by a determinant numeral!
How do you spell these color adjectives? The right answer is: I prefer the deep blue dress to the light pink dress.
When a color is expressed by two or more terms, the terms remain unchanged in how they relate to nouns or adjectives. (This is a clumsy translation; is it possible the French sentence is incomplete?)

4. Should this adjective be adjusted? The right answer is: Rare are the students who made no mistakes.
The subject’s attribute should agree even if it precedes the subject. This is often the case with “rare”, for which you should not forget to make the change (that is, in this case, change “rare” to “rares” so it agrees with the plural noun “eleves”).

5. How do you write this verbal adjective? The right answer is: The following candidates (or applicants) had more trouble.

6. The verbal adjective is an adjective formed by the present participle of a verb. It acts like an adjective and agrees in gender and number with the noun it is associated with.

7. Would you put in an S?
The right answer is: Every Tuesday morning, we have a meeting.
“Morning” and “evening” stay singular when they are affixed to a day name.

8. How do you adjust the pronoun “leur” in this phrase? The right answer is: He ought to have explained it to them better.
The pronoun is generally placed before a verb and means “to them” (masculine or feminine). It is always written “leur”, it has no other form. You can be sure you have used the pronoun “leur” well if you can replace it with the pronoun “lui”.

9. How would you conjugate the verb in this phrase? The right answer was: Each of our products is laboratory-tested.
The verb whose subject is a noun specified by “each” or the pronoun “each (one)” is always singular.

10. Where do you put the dash?
“Will you be there tomorrow?”
In the expression “est-ce que”, there is a hyphen between the subject “ce” and the verb “est”, but no hyphen afterwards between “ce” and “que”.

Get 40% OFF
pdf1455
Been Around a Bit

Postby pdf1455 » July 2nd, 2010 12:28 pm

salut Johnny4eyes! :D

wow.. Ireally envy you..hehe I hope I can be fluent too T-T

merci for the translations.

oh! and thank you for the website. it's really helpful! ( more reliable than those stupid translators >.<'' )

Johnny4eyes
New in Town

Postby Johnny4eyes » July 5th, 2010 3:06 pm

You're welcome, et merci pour tes compliments!

I don't consider myself fluent yet, at least not in conversation. But my reading and writing has gotten much better. I got a premium Frenchpod membership so I can use the voice recorder, which is a great tool. Keep studying and practing!

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning French”